World Religions: Western Traditions
- ISBN: 9780190877064
- Published By: Oxford University Press
- Published: September 2018
World Religions: Western Traditions, Fifth Edition, provides students with a thought-provoking survey of Jewish, Christian, Muslim, ancient, indigenous, and new religious traditions. The expert contributors offer an authoritative examination of the origins, central teachings, divisions and branches, rituals and practices, influences on culture, and responses to modern challenges for each tradition.
Ideal for courses in Western religions and comparative religions, World Religions: Western Traditions, Fifth Edition, combines a historically descriptive perspective with a spirit of sympathetic fascination.
New to this Edition
- "Interview" boxes bring to life the impact that a member of each religion is having on today's world
- "Women in the Traditions" boxes highlight the essential roles played by women in each tradition
- A new introductory chapter, "Studying Western Religions," gives more attention to theories of religion and methods for studying religion
- An extensively updated "Current Issues" chapter addresses important new developments--including those in the Middle East and Myanmar--and provides an expanded treatment of marriage equality and religion